Old Rules, New Rules and How to Get Those Missing Credits
Requirements of 25 hours (see chart) include at least four hours of legal ethics, at least one hour of prevention, detection and prevention of substance abuse and at least one hour of elimination of bias in the legal profession based on any of, but not limited to the following characteristics: sex, color, race, religion, ancestry, national origin, blindness or other physical disability, age and sexual orientation.
For more specific information on MCLE requirements, call the OCBA Education Department at 949.440.6700 ext. 385.
The Annual OCBA Last Dash offers MCLE credits in all required categories. This program is held in mid-January. The following are examples of the sessions that have been offered at previously held Last Dash events:
- Trial Tips From The Bench
- Client Beefs To The State Bar & What You Can Do To Avoid Them
- Trends & Tips In The Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Developing Case Analysis, Deposition & Trial Skills Online
- Legal Ethics: Not Just Right, But Effective
- Technology & Internet Use In The Courtroom & In The Law Office
- Alcohol, Drugs & Other Addictions
- Foreclosures & Deficiency Judgements
- Effectively Addressing Bias In The Practice Of Law & The Courts
- Law & Motion - What Every Lawyer Should Know
- Effectively Using Professionalism & Civility To Win At Trial
- Cutting-Edge Technology For Practice & Business Management
- Demurrers: How To Prepare Them, Win Them & Prevent Them
- Help! My Client Is Going TO Commit Perjury, A Crime Or Has Committed A Crime
Regular OCBA seminars are also a great way to gain credits and expand your knowledge. With previous topics ranging from The Growth of Legal Outsourcing and Liability and Risk Management in Sports Law to Historic Trials Re-lived and Receiverships from A-Z, there's literally something for everyone!
See the OCBA Events Calendar for information about upcoming CLE Seminars.
Over 25 different OCBA sections meet regularly to update members on developments in specific areas of law. Each section offers opportunities for professional growth, meeting colleagues and free CLE (for section members).
OCBA is also offering self-study CDs and DVDs on a wide variety of topics, including ethics, substance abuse, elimination of bias, bankruptcy, criminal law, employment law, family law, and recovering money on judgments. Each recording is one hour in length and qualifies for 1.0 MCLE credit. Each tape is $25 for OCBA Members and $35 for non-members. For a list of all available recordings, please download the order form.
The OCBA offers Continuing Legal Education (CLE) courses over the Internet.